Does My Homeowners Insurance Cover That?

House Windows Beautiful Sky and Question MarkMany of our clients don’t understand what their Homeowners Insurance covers and what it does not. So, to help you get a better understanding of your coverage, we have taken some of the top questions on Google and answered them here for you:

Does my homeowners insurance cover hurricane damage?

Most homeowners insurance policies cover wind damage. Therefore, if you lose a roof or a fence blows over during a hurricane, you can probably get reimbursed for the cost of repairs. However, a standard homeowner’s policy does not cover flood damage. Water-related damage during a hurricane won’t qualify unless you have purchased flood insurance.

You do need to check your policy for a separate hurricane deductible. In states known for hurricane losses, insurers commonly protect themselves with higher deductibles for wind damage due to hurricanes.

Does my homeowners insurance cover mold?

Whether or not your homeowners policy covers a mold problem depends on how the mold got there.  Most mold is caused by moisture or flooding and not covered by standard policies. Leaky pipes and poor ventilation are also primary causes of mold and “maintenance issues” do not qualify for coverage.

However, most policies do cover catastrophic failures, such as burst pipes. Whether or not sump pump or sewer back-up qualifies depends on your plan. Make sure to ask your agent about this so that you don’t get hit with a nasty surprise.

Does my homeowners insurance cover my cell phone?

The short answer to this is ‘yes.’ Your cell phone is covered if stolen either from your home or off the premises. However, the deductible on your policy is probably greater than the cost of the phone. In almost all cases, you will be better off not putting in a claim for the loss of a cell phone.

Does my homeowners insurance cover my boat?

A homeowner’s insurance policy covers damages to property while it sits at home. For most home insurance plans, this would include your boat. However, once the boat leaves the premises, it is no longer covered. Homeowners Insurance is never a substitute for boat insurance.

Something else you need to consider is the deductible. Often, the coverage on your boat (at your home) typically runs less than the cost of replacing the boat and after the deductible may only cover a fraction of repair costs.

Does my homeowners insurance cover earthquakes?

Homeowner’s insurance does not typically cover structural damage resulting from an earthquake. However, secondary damage, such as fire after the earthquake might qualify. It all depends on how the company wrote your insurance policy. Most auto policies have a special option for earthquake damage. Speak to your agent if you need to review your earthquake coverage. In California, you have the options of purchasing a separate policy or getting coverage from the California Earthquake Authority (CEA).

Is my diamond necklace fully covered under my homeowners insurance policy?

Many policies place a limit on claims for luxury items such as fine jewelry or art. Ask about your policy limits to see if you need more coverage.

Am I fully covered if someone is injured in my home?

The maximum amount the insurance company will pay in legal bills and damages if you are sued is shown in the liability coverage section of your policy. If a visitor slips and falls in your home, make sure you have enough coverage for potentially extensive medical bills and legal bills. Your agent can help you determine the right limit of liability to purchase.

What can I expect when I have to make a claim? Your insurance company should be there for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Ask your agent to detail the claims process for you and make sure that you will have access to a claims professional when you need it.

© Copyright 2020. All rights reserved. This content is strictly for informational purposes and although experts have prepared it, the reader should not substitute this information for professional insurance advice. If you have any questions, please consult your insurance professional before acting on any information presented. Read more.